Unsatisfied judgments

Unsatisfied judgments

Albertans can now see up-to-date information about employers that currently have judgments for unpaid employee earnings registered against them in the Alberta courts.

Search for an employer now

The process that results in a judgment being registered against an employer is as follows:

  • An employee files a complaint saying the employer owes them earnings.
  • An investigation or inspection determines the employer does owe earnings to the employee.
  • The employer refuses to pay earnings so an Employment Standards Officer issues an Order of Officer (Order). The Order includes the employee's earnings and a government fee. The fee is the greater of 10% of the employee's amount or $100. The Order may also include an audit fee. The employer has 21 days from the day they receive the Order to pay the full amount of the Order, or submit a notice of appeal stating reasons and include an appeal deposit that is the full amount of the Order, if they disagree with the Order.
  • The employer does not pay or appeal the Order within the time limit. Employment Standards files the Order as a judgment of the Court of Queen's Bench. This judgment is valid for 10 years and is a public record.
    • The judgment is registered against the employer's assets at the Alberta Personal Property Registry and Alberta Land Titles. These assets cannot be sold until the judgment is paid. Money collected is sent to the employee(s) for whom the judgment was obtained.
    • If Employment Standards locates an individual or company that owes the employer money, a legal demand for payment is sent to the individual or company to pay Employment Standards instead. Money collected is sent to the employee(s) for whom the judgment was obtained.
    • The judgment may be sent to a contracted collection agency for enforcement. Money collected is sent to the employee(s) for whom the judgment was obtained. Additional collection agency charges will apply.

If you are an employer and would like to pay the outstanding judgment and have your firm's name removed from the list, send a certified cheque payable to the Director of Employment Standards to:

Employment Standards Collections
Alberta Labour
Suite 602, Labour Building
10808-99 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 0G5

While every effort is made to keep the information on this website up-to-date and accurate, Alberta Labour cannot guarantee that all information is accurate, complete or current at all times. No endorsement or representation of any employer is expressed or implied by any information, material or content included on this website.

Employment Standards updates this list on a bi-weekly basis. New judgments are added, and employers who fully pay outstanding judgments are removed.

If you have any concern regarding the information contained within the records, please call the Employment Standards Contact Centre:

  • 1-877-427-3731 (Toll-free within Alberta)
  • 780-427-3731 (Edmonton and surrounding area)
  • Deaf/hard of hearing with TDD/TTY: 780-427-9999 in Edmonton, 1-800-232-7215 throughout Alberta
Modified: 2016-04-05
PID: 14597