Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Show Answer How do I apply for mediation?

In Alberta, parties involved in collective bargaining must go through the mediation process before they can take a legal strike vote or lockout poll. The employer, union or both can ask the Director of Mediation to appoint a mediator under the provisions of the Labour Relations Code.

The Director will then appoint a mediator from a Designated Mediation Roster. The government pays for the first two calendar days of mediation.  After the second day, the costs are shared equally by the parties involved in the mediation. The mediator’s fees and expenses are paid according to the Fee Schedule.

To apply for the appointment of a mediator, complete the Mediation Application Form and submit it, along with the supplemental information requested, by email or mail to the address on the form.

Show Answer How do I file a collective agreement with the government?

The Labour Relations Code requires each of the parties to a collective agreement to file a copy of the collective agreement with the Director of Mediation. To file a collective agreement, please submit a copy in pdf form by email.

Show Answer What services does the government provide to help resolve disputes?

The government appoints mediators and grievance arbitrators upon request by either or both parties.   See Mediation Services.

Show Answer What does Labour Relations do?

The government provides a fair and balanced framework for labour relations and the resolution of disputes.

In addition to developing policy, the government provides information on labour relations trends and issues and on collective bargaining agreements.

Mediation Services appoints mediators to assist parties in resolving collective bargaining disputes and appoints arbitrators to resolve grievance disputes.

Mediators are appointed by the Director of Mediation Services from a Designated Mediator Roster. Once a mediator is appointed, their job is to assist parties in resolving a collective bargaining dispute.

If parties cannot resolve their differences through mediation, the Labour Relations Code describes the processes for strikes and lockouts, and various Dispute Resolution Methods including compulsory arbitration.

Show Answer How do I apply for the appointment of an arbitrator to resolve a grievance?

When a union or employer cannot agree on a single arbitrator or chair of an arbitration panel, either party can apply to the Director of Mediation to appoint an arbitrator.

The Director will also appoint a member or “nominee” to an arbitration panel if either side does not appoint one.

To apply for the appointment of an arbitrator or a nominee, complete the Arbitrator Application Form and submit it, along with the grievance letter to or by mail to the address on the form.

Show Answer What is a collective agreement?

A collective agreement is an agreement in writing between an employer or an employers’ organization and a bargaining agent (normally a union or employee association). It contains the terms or conditions of employment, including a grievance process, for a group of employees known as a bargaining unit.

Show Answer How do I search for a collective agreement?

Collective agreements are considered public documents and are available online. To get started, go to Search for a collective agreement.

For more information on collective agreements, see Frequently Asked Questions.

Show Answer Why can't I find the agreement I'm looking for?

The Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs) posted on this website are those submitted in accordance with section 132 of the Labour Relations Code.

If an agreement has not yet been ratified, or a final copy has not been submitted, it will not appear on this website.

The government is subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act with respect to making agreements available that contain personal information like the names of employees. Such information will be redacted prior to the agreement being made available for search.

If you have questions, comments or concerns about the Government of Alberta CBA search page, you may contact the CBA Analyst at 780‑427‑8301.

Show Answer Why should I file my agreement with the Government of Alberta?

Filing your collective agreement, as required under section 132 of the Labour Relations Code, helps improve the quality of information on collective bargaining settlements. The province uses this data to produce reports such as Bargaining Update which provides labour relations and collective bargaining information for the public.

Show Answer After an agreement is ratified how long does it take for the parties to draft and sign the new collective agreement?

Once an agreement has been negotiated it may go through several changes before a final copy is signed and filed which can take months.

If you have questions, comments or concerns about the Government of Alberta CBA search page, you may contact the CBA Analyst at 780‑427‑8301.

Show Answer Where can I find agreements for other jurisdictions?

If you are looking for agreements in other Provinces, or federal agreements, several resources can be accessed through the Resource List.

Show Answer Where can I find collective agreements for TV and movie productions?

If you are looking for an agreement for a particular production, please contact the CBA Analyst at 780‑427‑8301.

Show Answer Where can I file my agreement?

Click on File Your Agreement now. If you have questions, please contact the CBA Analyst at 780‑427‑8301.

Show Answer What labour relations legislation does Alberta have?

Alberta has several acts and codes that cover labour relations in the province. The Labour Relations Code covers most employers and unions, including those in health care and construction. Several regulations supplement this legislation, including:

The following acts govern labour relations for certain groups:

Public Service Employee Relations Act – covers the bargaining relationships for the provincial government and provincially appointed boards and agencies and their employees.

Police Officers Collective Bargaining Act – covers police working in the province, excluding the RCMP.

Post-secondary Learning Act – governs the bargaining relationship between academic staff and the institutions that employ them.

Burial of the Dead Act  – allows the government to ensure continued service in the event of a strike or lockout that could affect the burial of persons.

Show Answer I work in an industry that I think is federally regulated. Am I covered by Alberta’s employment standards, occupational health and safety and labour legislation?

The federal government, its agencies and boards, and other federally regulated industries such as banking, telecommunications and interprovincial transportation fall under the jurisdiction of federal employment standards, occupational health and safety and labour legislation. 

To find out if you are a federally regulated business or industry, please contact Federal Employment Standards.

Show Answer What methods are available under Alberta’s labour laws to help resolve disputes?

Alberta’s legislation provides Dispute Resolution Methods to assist in resolving collective bargaining disputes including mediation, Disputes Inquiry Boards and Compulsory Arbitration Boards, and first contract arbitration.

Show Answer What is the role of the Alberta Labour Relations Board?

The Alberta Labour Relations Board (ALRB) is an independent and impartial tribunal responsible for the day-to-day application and interpretation of Alberta's labour laws. The role of the ALRB is to interpret and apply the legislation governing collective bargaining including:

  • how and under what conditions a trade union may claim the status of exclusive bargaining agent for a group of employees;
  • how the employer and union must bargain to reach or renew a collective agreement;
  • what kinds of union and employer conduct is prohibited; and 
  • when the parties to a labour dispute have recourse to a strike or lockout.
Modified: 2017-10-27
PID: 13580

Contact Mediation Services

310‑0000 followed by 780‑427‑8301 (toll free) 780‑427‑8301 in Edmonton

Who do I contact about...

  • Hours of work
  • Overtime
  • Maternity and parental leave
  • Termination
  • General holidays and general holiday pay

See Employment Standards for more information.

Visit the Alberta Labour Relations Board for more information about:

  • Certification and revocation of bargaining rights
  • Strikes and lockouts
  • Picketing
  • Prohibited practices
  • Duty of fair representation