Labour Relations Legislation
Alberta has legislation that covers labour relations in the province.
The Labour Relations Code covers most employers and unions, including health care and construction. Regulations supplement this legislation, including:
- Construction Industry Jurisdictional Assignment Plan Regulation
- Construction Industry Labour Relations Regulation
- Market Enhancement Recovery Fund Distribution Regulation
- Regional Health Authority Collective Bargaining Regulation
- Horizon Oils Sands Project Designation Regulation
The following Acts govern labour relations for certain groups:
- Public Service Employee Relations Act
Covers the bargaining relationships for the government as an employer and the civil service, along with other public employers.
- Police Officers Collective Bargaining Act
Covers police working in the province, excluding the RCMP.
- Post-secondary Learning Act
Governs the bargaining between academic staff and the institutions that employ them.
- Burial of the Dead Act
Allows the government to ensure continued service in the event of a strike or lockout that could affect the burial of persons.
Labour Relations Quick Links
Contact Mediation Services
310‑0000 followed by 780‑427‑8301 (toll free) 780‑427‑8301 in Edmonton
Who do I contact about...
- Hours of work
- Maternity and parental leave
- General holidays and general holiday pay
See Employment Standards for more information.
Visit the Alberta Labour Relations Board for more information about:
- Certification and revocation of bargaining rights
- Strikes and lockouts
- Prohibited practices
- Duty of fair representation