Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP)
STEP supports students in obtaining employment by helping them gain work experience and build transferable skills, opening the door to the labour market.
How does it work?
The program provides a wage subsidy of $7 an hour to employers who hire students for summer work between May and August. STEP supports students in gaining valuable work experience and skill-building opportunities.
Who is eligible?
- Small businesses (1-49 employees)
- Non-profit organizations
- Public libraries
- School boards
- Municipalities, First Nations and Métis Settlements
- Publicly-funded post-secondary institutions
The program is available for employees who are:
- at least 15 years of age
- returning to high school or post-secondary no later than November 1
- Alberta residents; and
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or refugees and individuals who are legally allowed to work in Canada. Temporary foreign workers are not eligible for the program
What is the cost of the program?
$10 million is budget for STEP each year until 2018-19.
When will the program start?
As of January 20, 2017 STEP is now accepting applications for 2017. The application deadline is February 24, 2017.
Full details on the application process and forms can be found at AlbertaCanada.com/STEP.
Employers can sign up for our email subscription service to receive monthly updates on tools and resources to help you plan, recruit, and retain your workforce, including updates on the Job Creation Incentive Program and other initiatives.
Stay connected and sign up at ABWorkforceInfo.com/subscribe