Asbestos Project Notification
Alberta employers planning a project that involves working with asbestos must notify OHS at least 72 hours before the work starts.
What’s important to know
Alberta’s OHS Code requires that:
- all employers must give 72 hours’ notification before starting asbestos projects
- all workers must get government-approved asbestos training before they handle asbestos in a restricted area
Exposure to airborne asbestos fibres may cause a number of diseases, such as asbestosis and cancer. Workers may be exposed to asbestos in the workplace when materials containing asbestos are disturbed.
For more information on working with asbestos, see Alberta OHS bulletins & guides.
Who should notify OHS?
Alberta OHS laws require that anyone planning a project where asbestos may be disturbed must notify OHS at least 72 hours before starting the work.
Notifiable asbestos projects include:
- set-up operations that may release asbestos fibres
- removing asbestos
- demolition or renovation of a building or equipment containing asbestos
Approving asbestos projects
The notification process isn’t intended as an approval or review process for the submitted work procedures. Employers are responsible for ensuring their proposed work procedures align with the Alberta Asbestos Abatement Manual and comply with OHS laws.
For more information on Asbestos Project Notification requirements, call the OHS Contact Centre.
How to submit a notification
Provide notice using the Asbestos Project Notification form available at the link below. Notice will only be considered valid where the information provided in the form is true, complete and correct.
Step 1. Fill out online notification form
Please note: Each time you submit an asbestos project notice, you must fill out a new online form. See the instructions on the form.
Step 2. After you submit a notification
Once the Director of Inspections has been notified:
- you’ll receive an acknowledgement email
- the 72-hour, 3 working day waiting period begins (weekends and statutory holidays aren’t counted towards this 72-hour period)