Proactive strategic programs
OHS carries out inspection and education programs to help employers understand their legislated health and safety requirements.
Through proactive strategic programs, Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) works with employers to improve health and safety at provincially regulated work sites. Every year, Alberta OHS selects employers for enhanced inspection and education activity.
Here’s how it works:
- employers selected for one of the OHS strategic programs are not generally included in a second program; an exception to this is the Employer Review Program
- selection criteria are specific to each of the proactive strategic programs
- participation is not optional for employers selected into these programs
Alberta OHS Index
For many of the proactive strategic programs, an index is used to help identify those that will benefit the most from additional interaction with OHS.
The Alberta OHS Index is a model of employer health and safety performance over a 4-year period. The index is built from statistics collected by the Alberta Workers’ Compensation Board.
For more information, see OHS Index: How it works (PDF, 2 pages)
Recent Proactive Strategic Programs publications
- Proactive Strategic Programs (PDF, 11 pages)
- Proactive Employer Program (PDF, 10 pages)
- Proactive Industry Programs
- Employer Injury and Illness Prevention Program (EIIPP) (PDF, 8 pages)
- Employer Review Program (PDF, 4 pages)
- Focused Inspection/Emerging Trend Campaigns
- Sand and Gravel Focused Inspection Report 2015 (PDF, 9 pages)
- Residential Construction Focused Inspection Report 2014 (PDF, 6 pages)
- Ski Hills Focused Inspection Report 2014 (PDF, 6 pages)
- Sand and Gravel Focused Inspection Report 2013 (PDF, 7 pages)
- Ski Hills Focused Inspection Report 2013 (PDF, 5 pages)
- Residential Construction Focused Inspection Report 2012 (PDF, 5 pages)
- Powered Mobile Equipment Focused Inspection Report 2011 (PDF, 7 pages)
- Residential Construction Focused Inspection Report 2011 (PDF, 5 pages)
- Young Workers Focused Inspection Report 2011 (PDF, 7 pages)
- Commercial Construction Focused Inspection Report 2010 (PDF, 6 pages)
In case of any inconsistency between this information and the OHS Act, Regulation, Code, the legislation will always prevail.