The government is working with the healthcare industry in sponsorship of the:
- Alberta Healthcare Industry Health and Safety Initiative (Initiative) aimed at reduction of workplace injuries and illness in the healthcare sector, and,
- Health Workforce Action Plan (HWAP) which identifies government-led priority actions to retain the existing health workforce.
- A Physician’s Guide to Occupational Health and Safety Responsibilities
Developed jointly by the department and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta to assist physicians and their staff, as employers and as workers, to understand and maintain compliance with the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulation and Code to ensure the health and safety of themselves, their co-workers and their employees.
- No Unsafe Lifts
The No Unsafe Lift Workbook is designed to provide a provincial framework for healthcare employers to develop and implement comprehensive musculoskeletal injury prevention program for their facilities.
- 2009/2010 H1N1 Inspection Program Protocol
Outlines a focused inspection protocol directed at ensuring that healthcare workers with the highest potential exposure to the 2009 H1N1 virus are adequately protected at the work site.
Best Practices Guidelines for Occupational Health and Safety in the Healthcare Industry
A series of best practices guidelines that describe methods for employers and workers in the healthcare industry to improve health and safety.
- Volume 1: Overview of Best Practices in Occupational Health and Safety in the Healthcare Industry (BP009)
- Volume 2: Best Practices for the Assessment and Control of Biological Hazards (BP010)
- Volume 3: Best Practices for the Assessment and Control of Chemical Hazards (BP011)
- Volume 4: Best Practices for the Assessment and Control of Physical Hazards (BP012)
- Volume 5: Best Practices for the Assessment and Control of Psychological Hazards (BP013)
eLearning Awareness Program
This eLearning program focuses on the basic principles of occupational health and safety in the healthcare industry and the requirements of OHS legislation. It is designed to help workers identify workplace hazards and understand and promote best practices.
Occupational Health and Safety Handbook for Post-Secondary Institutions Offering Health Programs
Fourteen professional-specific OHS Handbooks have been developed by Alberta Advanced Education and Technology, for use by post-secondary instructors of health programs. Each handbook is derived as a summary of information contained in the Best Practices Guidelines for Occupational Health and Safety in the Healthcare Industry. A Knowledge and Skills Assessment Verification Checklist also accompanies each Handbook for use by the instructors or students.
Download only (printed copy not available)
Community Clinics and Doctors’ Offices
Continuing Care Facilities
Diagnostic Imaging and Nuclear Medicine
Healthcare Administrative Workers
Medical and Surgical Staff
Medical Emergency Response Personnel
Mental Health Workers
Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, and Respiratory Therapy Personnel
Public Health Workers
Staff in Central Processing