Worker responsibilities

Worker responsibilities

Alberta laws keep your workplace healthy, safe, fair and equitable.

Occupational Health and Safety

Alberta's Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) legislation is the law that helps protect your health and safety at work. It focuses on keeping the workplace safe and healthy for you, others you work with and your employer.

Your responsibilities:

  • refuse dangerous work
  • report unsafe work practices
  • participate in the workplace hazard assessment
  • know about actual and potential dangers in the workplace
  • follow health and safety procedures
  • ask for training if you need it
  • work safely and encourage others to as well
  • use safety equipment and clothing
  • inform your supervisor if you have anything going on that could affect your ability to work safely


Employment Standards

If you're under 18

The Employment Standards rules apply to employees of all ages with special restrictions for young workers for their protection:

  • Under 12 Years Old
    Children under 12 years of age are not permitted to be employed at any time in any occupation.
  • 12 to 14 Years Old
    If you're 12 to 14 years of age, you're considered an "adolescent". Your employer needs a permit from Employment Standards for you to work at any job other than clerking in an office or retail business, delivering flyers or certain approved duties in the restaurant and food services industry.

    You can't be employed during normal school hours:
    • for more than 2 hours on a school day
    • for more than 8 hours on a non-school day
    • not at all between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m.
  • 15 to 17 Years Old
    If you're a "young person" 15 to 17 years of age, you don't need a permit to work. However, restaurants, bars, all retail stores, gas stations, hotels and motels have special restrictions when employing young persons. In these businesses, you must be in the continuous presence of someone 18 or older after 9 p.m. to midnight, and cannot be employed at all between midnight and 6 a.m.

    To work after midnight in other businesses that aren't listed above, you'll need written consent of your parent or guardian and the continuous presence of someone 18 years of age or older.

    If you're in a high school work experience program, your hours of work may be different. Check with your Work Experience Co-ordinator.


Modified: 2018-05-04
PID: 3093

Contact OHS

1-866-415-8690 (toll-free)
780-415-8690 (Edmonton)

TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton)
TTY: 1-800-232-7215

View more contact options