Labour relations

Labour relations

Labour relations involves the relationship between employers and employees in unionized workplaces, or those that may become unionized, and the laws that may affect these workplaces. This includes the processes and rules associated with collective bargaining.

The government provides a fair and balanced framework for labour relations and the resolution of disputes. Along with the development of policy and analysis of labour relations trends and issues, the government provides facilitation and education, dispute resolution services and collective bargaining information.

Recent changes to the Labour Relations Code

Collective Bargaining Agreements

Unions and employers negotiate with the aim of reaching or renewing a collective agreement covering the terms and conditions of employment.

view collective bargaining agreements

Mediation Services

Mediation Services appoints mediators and arbitrators to assist employers and unions in resolving disputes.

learn more about dispute resolution


Labour relations legislation governs employers, trade unions and employees in Alberta.

learn more about the legislation


Information, reports and statistics about collective bargaining.

view complete list of publications

Essential Services Legislation

Essential Services Legislation has been implemented in Alberta, and most recently has been applied to the continuing care, medical laboratory and blood services sectors.

learn more

Labour Relations Frequently Asked Questions

Show Answer How do I apply for mediation?

In Alberta, parties involved in collective bargaining must go through the mediation process before they can take a legal strike vote or lockout poll. The employer, union or both can ask the Director of Mediation to appoint a mediator under the provisions of the Labour Relations Code.

The Director will then appoint a mediator from a Designated Mediation Roster. The government pays for the first two calendar days of mediation.  After the second day, the costs are shared equally by the parties involved in the mediation. The mediator’s fees and expenses are paid according to the Fee Schedule.

To apply for the appointment of a mediator, complete the Mediation Application Form and submit it, along with the supplemental information requested, by email or mail to the address on the form.

Show Answer How do I apply for the appointment of an arbitrator to resolve a grievance?

To apply for the appointment of an arbitrator or a nominee, complete the Arbitrator Application Form and submit it, along with the grievance letter to or by mail to the address on the form.

Show Answer How do I file a collective agreement with the government?

The Labour Relations Code requires each of the parties to a collective agreement to file a copy of the collective agreement with the Director of Mediation. To file a collective agreement, please submit a copy in pdf form by email.

Show Answer What services does the government provide to help resolve disputes?

The government appoints mediators and grievance arbitrators upon request by either or both parties.   See Mediation Services.

See all FAQs
Modified: 2017-09-08
PID: 5862

Contact Mediation Services

310‑0000 followed by 780‑427‑8301 (toll free) 780‑427‑8301 in Edmonton

Who do I contact about...

  • Hours of work
  • Overtime
  • Maternity and parental leave
  • Termination
  • General holidays and general holiday pay

See Employment Standards for more information.

Visit the Alberta Labour Relations Board for more information about:

  • Certification and revocation of bargaining rights
  • Strikes and lockouts
  • Picketing
  • Prohibited practices
  • Duty of fair representation