This series of short videos, based on the Tool Kit for Employers, features basic rules for employment standards in Alberta workplaces.
These videos were developed by the Government of Alberta to help business owners and their employees understand and comply with the Employment Standards Code and Regulation.
The information in these videos is presented in 10 Modules. Each module has a series of short video segments with information on specific topics.
- Video 2-1: Employment Records and Statement of Earnings
- Video 2-2: Hours of Work, Pay Periods, and Payments Upon Termination
- Video 2-3: Wages, Earnings, and Deductions from Earnings
- Video 2-4: Minimum Wage and Minimum Hours of Work
- Video 3-1: Hours of Work and Rest
- Video 3-2: Work Hour Exemptions and Extended Work Hours
- Video 3-3: Training Hours
- Video 7-1: Maternity and Parental Leave Overview
- Video 7-2: What Employers Should Know About Maternity or Parental Leave
- Video 7-3: Employee Responsibilities to Start Maternity or Parental Leave
- Video 7-4: Reservist Leave
- Video 8-1: Termination: Employer Responsibilities
- Video 8-2: When An Employee Terminates Employment
- Video 8-3: When an Employer Terminates Employment
- Video 8-4: Termination Pay (Pay in Lieu)
- Video 8-5: Situations Where No Termination is Allowed
- Video 8-6: What is Just Cause?
- Video 8-7: Temporary Layoff
- Video 9-1: Employing an Adolescent Overview
- Video 9-2: Employing an Adolescent — Employer Responsibilities
- Video 9-3: Employing a Young Person
- Video 10-1: Complaints
- Video 10-2: Investigating Complaints
- Video 10-3: Order of Officer and Order of Director of Employment Standards
- Video 10-4: How the Employment Standards Process Works
Following the Code is your responsibility and these videos are designed to help you do that.
Each video module has a series of related documents included as resources to assist business owners in meeting, or exceeding the minimum standards set out under Employment Standards legislation.
It is important to note that the information presented in these videos is not a definitive guide to the legislation and does not exempt users from their responsibilities under the Employment Standards Code and Regulation. In case of inconsistencies between this resource and the Employment Standards legislation, the legislation will always prevail. Please see Alberta Employment Standards legislation for more information.
Alberta Employment Standards Overview
Employment Records and Statement of Earnings
Hours of Work and Rest
Overtime and Overtime Pay
General Holidays and General Holiday Pay
Vacation and Vacation Pay
Maternity, Parental, and Reservist Leave
Termination of Employment
Adolescents and Young Persons
The Employment Standards Process