Get your certification recognized

Get your certification recognized

Non-Alberta workers wanting to work in Alberta must get their provincial/territorial certification recognized by a regulatory authority before they can work in their occupation.

To work in a compulsory trade occupation in Alberta, you must hold a valid recognized trade credential from another province or territory or be certified in Alberta through Apprenticeship and Industry Training.

Labour mobility opportunities apply to:

  • workers in regulated occupations certified by another province or territory in Canada and seeking to work in Alberta
  • Alberta certified workers seeking to work in a regulated occupation in another province or territory in Canada

How to apply

Workers in regulated occupations must follow these steps to get their certification recognized.

Step 1. Determine if your occupation is regulated

Alberta workers wanting to work elsewhere
To find out if your occupation is regulated in your destination jurisdiction, contact your regulatory body.

If you are having difficulty finding the contact information for the appropriate regulatory body, contact the Labour Mobility Coordinator of the province/territory where you’re moving to.

Non-Alberta workers wanting to work in Alberta
To find out if your occupation is regulated in Alberta, see the list of regulated occupations and trades in Alberta.

Step 2. Determine if an exception to labour mobility exists for your occupation

For some occupations, specific job duties can vary substantially between Canadian jurisdictions. A province or territory can apply a labour mobility exception for an occupation. This allows a regulatory authority to impose additional requirements on workers.

See Exceptions to Labour Mobility to find out if an exception exists for your occupation in your destination jurisdiction.

Step 3. Verify that you’re in good standing

Contact your home regulatory body to ensure you’re an active member in good standing.

Step 4. Submit your application

To send in your application:

  • contact your regulatory authority to get an application form
  • gather supporting documents
  • fill in and submit your completed application (with fee) to the appropriate regulatory body in the jurisdiction where you’re seeking certification

Note: The application process should not include reassessment of your qualifications or additional material testing or training.

Allowable application requirements
Under Article 705.3 of the CFTA regulatory authorities may request that you:

  • pay an application or processing fee
  • obtain insurance/malpractice coverage
  • post a bond
  • undergo a criminal record check
  • provide evidence of good character
  • submit proof of good standing
  • write a short examination regarding jurisdictional legislation
  • demonstrate language proficiency in English or French if you have not done so already

Step 5. After you apply

Processing time
The application and registration processing time varies from one occupation to another, and from one regulatory authority to another. To find out how long it may take to process your application, contact the regulatory body for your occupation in the province or territory where you wish to relocate.

If you have concerns
If you believe your certification from Alberta is not being properly recognized in another Canadian jurisdiction, or your certification from elsewhere in Canada is not being properly recognized in Alberta, contact the Alberta Labour Mobility Unit.

For more information

To learn more about labour mobility visit

Modified: 2018-05-01
PID: 13981

Contact Labour Mobility Unit

780-422-5450 (Edmonton)
310-000 (toll-free)

Email Labour Mobility Unit