Occupational Health and Safety

OHS News and Updates:

Workplace injury rates hit an all-time recorded low

The latest statistics show a 20-year trend of improved workplace safety.

July 16, 2014

Albertans invited to test knowledge on various OHS topics!

The Government of Alberta has created an interactive way for Albertans to learn how to better identify hazards on the job and how to control them. New this year, Albertans can compete with their friends to see who can earn the most badges to share on Facebook!

more information

May 30, 2014

Alberta encouraging employers and workers to ‘Work Right’

Work Right campaign aims to encourage safe, fair and healthy workplaces throughout the province.

more information

May 12, 2014

Work Safe Alberta

Work Safe Alberta is a government-led initiative in consultation with industry and labour to help prevent work-related injuries, illnesses and fatalities.

more about Work Safe Alberta

Partnerships in Injury Reduction

PIR promotes health and safety management systems through the Certificate of Recognition (COR) program.

more about partnerships in injury reduction

Occupational Health and Safety Frequently Asked Questions

Show Answer How do I report an incident?

If a serious incident happens or almost happens, you can notify the Occupational Health and Safety Contact Centre by calling 1-866-415-8690. 

Serious incidents, as defined under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, must be reported.  Once reported, an occupational health and safety officer may look into the incident.  This notification is separate from any notification you are required to give to the Workers' Compensation Board or police.  You are also required to carry out your own investigation of the incident and make your report available to an occupational health and safety officer upon request. 

To learn more about incident reporting and investigation, refer to the Occupational Health and Safety Bulletin: Reporting and Investigating Injuries and Incidents.

Show Answer How do I get a Certificate of Recognition (COR)?

A Certificate of Recognition is awarded through the Partnerships in Injury Reduction program to employers who develop health and safety programs that meet established standards. Certificates are issued by Alberta Jobs, Skills, Training and Labour and are co-signed by Certifying Partners. Contact a Certifying Partner to get started.

Show Answer What should I do if I have a health and safety concern at my workplace?

The Occupational Health and Safety Contact Centre is available to answer your questions and provide any additional information that you may need.  The Contact Centre can be reached by calling 1‑866‑415‑8690.

See all FAQs


Small business banner

Modified: 2015-12-23
PID: 53

Contact OHS

1-866-415-8690 (toll-free)

780-415-8690 (Edmonton)

TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton)
TTY: 1-800-232-7215

View more contact options

Occupational Health and Safety Council

The OHS Council is an administrative body, which operates arms length from government. The Council advises the Minister on OHS matters and serves as an appeal body for orders issued by Occupational Health and Safety.

learn more