Report an incident

Report an incident

Find out what types of workplace incidents must be reported directly to Alberta OHS, and how to report them.

You must call in an injury or incident as soon as possible to OHS if it:

  • results in a death
  • results in a worker staying in hospital for more than 2 days
  • involves an unplanned or uncontrolled explosion, fire or flood that causes or may cause a serious injury
  • involves the collapse or upset of a crane, derrick or hoist
  • involves the collapse or failure of any component of a building or structure

Show Answer 1. When an incident happens

Do not disturb the scene of a reportable incident unless one of the following applies:

  • you’re directed to do so by a GoA OHS officer
  • you have to attend to someone who’s been injured or killed
  • you have to take action to prevent further injuries
  • you have to protect property that’s endangered by the incident

Show Answer 2. Call OHS

The prime contractor should call in an incident or injury. If there’s no prime contractor, the contractor or employer responsible for the workplace must call in the incident.

When you call, be prepared to provide:

  • location of incident or injury
  • site contact’s name, job title and phone number(s)
  • general descriptions of what happened
  • time and date the injury or incident occurred
  • name of employer
  • employer’s relationship to the work site (owner, prime contractor, contractor or supplier)
  • injured worker’s name, date of birth, and job title (if applicable)
  • name and location of hospital the worker was taken to (if applicable)

Show Answer 3. After you call

An OHS officer may be sent to the incident scene to conduct an investigation.

An OHS officer has the authority to:

  • enter the scene of the incident
  • ask questions to figure out the causes and circumstances of the incident
  • ask for information from anyone who may have knowledge related to the incident
  • seize or take samples of any substance, material, product, tool, appliance or equipment that was present at, involved in, or related to the incident
  • stop all or some of the activities at the work site

The prime contractor at the site must also investigate any reportable incident, or any incidents that have a potential to cause injury, and prepare a report as follows:

  • the prime contractor’s report outlines the circumstances of the accident, and what, if anything can be done to prevent another incident
  • the report must be given, on request, to an OHS officer
  • if there’s no prime contractor, the contractor or employer responsible for the work site must investigate and prepare the report
Modified: 2017-01-03
PID: 13591

Contact OHS

1-866-415-8690 (toll-free)

780-415-8690 (Edmonton)

TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton)
TTY: 1-800-232-7215

View more contact options